A wooden deck attached to some wheels, some slick kicks, jeans and a t-shirt – seems pretty straight forward. There’s so much more to skateboarding than learning to push and balance on the board. Even more than kick flips and 720 Gazelles, it’s a complex culture. For the skaters, blood, sweat and tears is the only way to progress and to not look like a total beginner. On top of that, you have to have the right attitude and likable personality to be accepted in the skate community. Skateboarding brands have to have the right team, art direction, product and legit skaters running the business (not just a smart CEO with business experience).
Combined with the unspoken rules of skateboarding, there’s a ton of independence, imagination, style, determination and devastation that goes along with the sport, err lifestyle. Unforgettable skateboarding quotes and tid-bits of advice have surfaced from pros and anonymous skaters throughout the decades. Check out a few of our favorites and add your own …
- “I consider skateboarding an art form, a lifestyle and a sport. ‘Action sport’ would be the least offensive categorization.” – Tony Hawk
- “One thing about a skater, they never quit, so a skater to sum it up is awesome.” – Lil Wayne
- “Skateboarding doesn’t make you a skateboarder. Not being able to stop skateboarding make you a skateboarder.” – Lance Mountain
- “Its Physical and mental, you have something to focus on.” – Dennis Busenitz
- “All skateboarding is, is putting ideas into action.” – Marc Johnson
- “For me skateboarding is a lifestyle, I dont really know anything different, my life revolves around skating, if I wasn’t a pro skater, I’d still be skating everyday.” – Ryan Sheckler
- “It’s better to go out like a man, trying, than to play it safe and get second.” – Sean Malto
- “Skateboarding teaches you how to take a fall properly. If you try to kickflip down some stairs, it might take you thirty tries – and you just learn how to take a tumble out of it without getting hurt.” – Bam Margera
- “Do what you love and try not to look at what other people occupy themselves with. Most people seem restless and bounce around too much to focus or even pay attention enough to themselves to figure out exactly what they really do love, as opposed to what the people that surround them are doing.” – Rodney Mullen
- “Skateboarding is a way to let your body control the mind.” – Shaun White
- “I won’t quit skating until I am physically unable.” – Tony Hawk
- “Skateboarding is the sound of living.” – Jake Phelps
- “Growing up in Huntington Beach, you were either a traditional sports athlete, a skateboarder, or a surfer. I got my first skateboard when I was five and skated off and on over the years, did a little BMX racing as a kid, and then in my freshman or sophomore year I started getting a little bit more into skateboarding.” – Jason Lee
We know there’s more. Please share them with us. Let us know your favorites. Maybe you have a skateboarding mantra with mojo.