In this video HOW II we take a look at how to build a skateboard using all the basic skate components. If you’re new to skating it can sometimes be confusing on how all the parts fit together. This guide will help de-mystify the proper way to put together a skateboard complete. Here we go…‘How to Build a Skateboard’ with Windward Boardshop and the man in the black pajamas.
how to build a skateboard: what you’ll need
- grip tape
step 1: attaching the grip tape
- Remove the back of the grip tape and from nose to tail, then lay the grip centered on the deck. Make sure all of the air bubbles are pressed out.
- File an outline around the border of the deck.
- Along the outline use a razor blade to cut from underneath.
step 2: mounting the trucks
- With your screws set, slide the truck into place then twist on the nuts.
- Using your tool, tighten down the hardware.
step 3: attaching wheels and bearings
- Add the inside speed washer then put bearing on the axle.
- Press the wheel firmly down on the bearing until the bearings sinks in.
- Add the second washer and bolt then tighten.
step 4: adjusting the trucks
- Use the tool or allen key to adjust the kingpin.
- Remember, lefty loosy righty tighty for looser or stiffer truck feel.