|Manufacturer Warranty:||1 Year|
Starboard Futura Technora Windsurf Board 101L
Introducing six all-new Futuras: advanced freeriders with maximum wind range, early planing power and the highest top-end speed. Flip the coin and the Futuras are also the most stable boards thanks to their extra width and remain accessible to improving riders thanks to their inboard strap positions and comfortable deck domes.
A high performance racing machine on one side, and an easy stable board on the other - impossible?
"Stable at low speeds, the Futura 122 has a double whammy of explosive acceleration and early planing. What a pleasure to ride high on the water with just the tip of the tail and the fin in the water. We really have minimal friction and you can go super fast without having the legs of a skier. Its rivals had better be scared because this is one very complete board, and as a bonus, with a higher fun factor than them. A reference." Planchemag Feb-Mar 2010 "A great freeride board with performance that can hold its own on the race course, in the right hands. It is fast, user friendly, manoeuvrable and exciting, what more can you ask for!" Windsurf magazine April 2010 Futura Feature 1: the Futuras are designed to have the same width-to-volume ratio as modern wide-style slalom boards. This means that they are wide (= extra stable) and thin (= control and responsive). Compared to classic freeriders, the Futuras are around 15% thinner.
Futura Feature 2: big deck domes. This means that the deck shape is comfortable for all footstrap positions, whether you're using the powerful outboard settings or the more accessible inside strap settings.
Futura Feature 3: super wide wind range. Because the boards are wide and thin, the board can be paired with extra big sails and extra big fins: maximum bottom end performance. At the same time, the low volume and thin profile also makes the board work with smaller sails and smaller fins. The result: a wind range classic freeriders can't compete with.
Futura Feature 4: carve jibe response. Extra thin also means a very quick and responsive carve jibe. The Futuras turn fast, powerful and with an incisive bite. Looking to improve your jibes? Not a problem: the Futuras extra low speed stability means that it's easy to finish off a jibe, whether you plane out or not.
Futura Feature 5: a wide sweet spot. Classic freeriders tend to need to be perfectly powered up with a perfectly sized sail. The Futuras have a wider sweet spot: if you ride slightly underpowered or overpowered, using a smaller sail or a larger sail or windsurfing in a patchy wind area, the Futuras always deliver peak performance.
New for 2011
Developed in parallel with the 2011 iSonics, the new Futura 4G benefitted from the same upgrades:
Harder rail edges in the tail
With harder rails, the board releases from the water cleaner and quicker: this increases top speed, enables quicker acceleration in gusts, improves earlier planing and improves the board's ability to maintain top speed in lulls. By reducing the tuck-under edge angle, the planing surface became wider and shorter than previously (higher aspect ratio planing surface): this improves bottom-end efficiency. With a harder release edge, the Futuras also gain more jibing power: the rails have the ability to store more energy as the racer enters a jibe that, a fraction of a second later, releases into more exit-speed. Very Deep Deck Concaves
By using very deep deck concaves, the level of control is maximized. The pivot point between sail and board is kept as low as possible. The centre of gravity of the board is also lowered further to minimize undesired swing weight. These very deep deck concaves also break the aerodynamic suction effect that often lifts the nose out of control in high winds. Last but not least, the gap between the sail and deck is eliminated and the mast track can be moved back to improve top end speed without compromising control. Note the very deep deck concaves require the boom to be set about 2cm higher than your normal setting.
- The Futura TechnoraTM uses a Starboard original technology where the PVC sandwich core is replaced with natural Australian plantation pine wood. Technora? boards are light weight, crisp and comfortable with rigid flex.
- Futuras are wide (= extra stable) and thin (=control and responsive). Compared to classic freeriders, the Futuras are around 15% thinner
- Extra slim shapes: for a lower centre of gravity, more control, more responsiveness and a wider wind range
- Decks are designed to provide full comfort in all strap positions: inboard or outboard
- Very Deep Deck Concaves: more control, lower CG, improved aerodynamics
- iSonic rockerlines and thicknesses give the Futuras their freeslalom performance and it speed across a wide sweet spot
- New Drake Venom fins, designed by C3. Amazing glide, unlimited acceleration, easier jibing.
- Multiple insert positions offer tuning options for intermediate/advanced/expert riders.
- Volume : 101
- Length : 240
- Width : 65.5
- Tail width : 42.8
- Thickness : 11.2
- Bottom shape (from tail to nose) : Flat Vee to Double Concave
- Number of footstrap rows : 3
- Fin : Drake C3 Venom 38
- Finbox : Tuttle
- Recommended fin range : 30-40
- Recommended sail range : 4.5-7.5
- Weight (Technora) : 7.5